I’ve known about Brendan Leister and his work analyzing the Browns for a long time. He’s been active in various capacities for years, in fact. 70,000+ tweets if you need him. Anyway, he doesn’t approach the Browns like a fan, preferring to stick to the technical scouting approach. With that in mind, I wanted to talk to him about the Browns’ signings so far, what it means right now and what it means down the road into the draft.
You can find Brendan and his crew doing their excellent work over at DraftBrowns.com and you can find him on Twitter @BrendanLeister. I implore you to check out their site. Ryan is a good writer and Mikey is another Excel nerd 1 who actually understands roster construction and salary cap issues.
Here’s what we talked about.
- Paul Kruger and the level of excitement for him
- Did the Browns overpay for Kruger?
- Desmond Bryant should excite Browns fans more than Kruger
- Five technique player?
- Ray Horton’s nickel as the 2-4-5
- Desmond Bryant’s ability against the run
- Will Ahtyba Rubin get moved or cut next offseason?
- Quentin Groves and is it a depth signing?
- The Browns linebacking corps and fitting them all together
- Craig Robertson as a cover linebacker
- Draft plans should include another pass rusher?
- Should the Browns take a chance on Geno Smith?
- Do the Browns already know their opinion on Geno Smith?
- Mike Wallace and $$$ vs. Travis Benjamin
- Cornerback and who the Browns are going to get
- Sheldon Brown and how well he played this season
- Keenan Lewis and his ability to play opposite Joe Haden
- Josh Gordon and his ceiling as the third youngest player in the NFL
- Compliment [back]