The Cleveland Indians today announced the following roster moves relative to the Major League spring training roster:
- Selected the contract of left-handed pitcher Rich Hill from the Triple-A Columbus Clippers, adding him to the 40-man roster.
- Placed right-handed pitcher Blake Wood (right elbow rehab) on the 60-day Disabled List.
- Optioned outfielder Tim Federoff, right-handed pitcher Trey Haley, lefth-handed pitcher TJ House, right-handed pticher Chen-Chang Lee and right-handed pitcher Danny Salazar to Triple-A Columbus.
- Re-assigned non-roster invitees infielder Matt LaPorta, right-handed pitcher Fernando Nieve and catcher Roberto Perez to Minor League camp.
- Granted the unconditional release of ourfielder Ben Francisco1
The addition of Hill to the 40-man is relatively surprising and puts him in line for a spot with the team’s bullpen. In 2007, Hill tossed 195 innings for the Chicago Cubs and was worth 3.2 wins. With today’s nine-player reduction the current Major League spring training roster now stands at 51 players (26 pitchers/5 catchers/13 infielders/7 outfielders).
- Francisco. That’s fun to say. [↩]