Just yesterday, ESPN.com’s Marc Stein reported that the Cleveland Cavaliers were likely to reach a deal today with disgruntled, injured backup forward Omri Casspi. Said deal was to be hurried, so that Casspi’s release could be completed by 11:59 p.m. Friday in order for Casspi to take the court in the playoffs with one of his desired final destinations, per an NBA rule.
But, tonight, we hear from the Akron Beacon Journal’s Jason Lloyd that such an arrangement is unlikely to occur this evening. Here is the latest from Lloyd’s report:
“Casspi was in negotiations to have his contract bought out, according to an ESPN.com report. But Casspi needed to be released by 11:59 p.m. on Friday in order for him to be eligible for the playoffs. That doesn’t appear likely, according to the two sources who spoke on conditiion of anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation.
The Cavs tried dealing Casspi prior to last week’s trade deadline, but couldn’t strike a deal.
Casspi is unhappy with his lack of playing time, a team source said. He hasn’t appeared in a game since Feb. 6 and played a total of seven minutes during the month of February.”
The 24-year-old Israeli was originally the 23rd pick in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Sacramento Kings. He was the first Israeli to ever be drafted in the league. He started 58 of 148 career games with the Kings over his first two seasons, averaging 9.5 points in 24.5 minutes per contest, but has received inconsistent playing time since his June 2011 trade to Cleveland.
He has appeared in 94 total games with the Cavaliers, shooting only 39.5% en route to 6.1 points in 17.8 minutes per game. He only played in two games during the month of February.