Something a little different today to start. We talked about the business of writing, specifically Esquire’s decision to experiment with asking readers to pay for a feature rather than giving it away for free.
- “The Prophet” by Luke Dittrich and the fact that Esquire was charging for it
- Scott has been at Esquire since 1997
- How do you delineate between what’s worth charging for?
- Tom Junod’s three movie star cover story series with Matt Damon, and Leonardo DiCaprio
- My Rolling Stone subscription and my wall of covers
- Nate Jackson’s book called “Slow Getting Up” about the NFL
- Nate Jackson’s take on Eric Mangini and his reign in Cleveland
- Willie McGinest and what he would say about Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel and Bill Belichick
- Andrew Bynum and the tone of the coverage
- How can you criticize the Bynum move without the alternative?
- The Jimmy Haslam story and the continuing coverage
- The Aaron Hernandez picture taken down in the Pro Football HOF
- The World Trade Center and the fetishization of tragedy
- The Indians heading into the all-star break
- Danny Salazar and his performance in his debut
- The four foul ball guy and the one in a trillion odds
- If a guy can catch four foul balls maybe we can all see a championship