Dave Bryan of Steelers Depot is one of the most well-informed people when it comes to the AFC North. Steelers Depot might cover the Browns mortal enemy in football, but it’s really well done. Whether he’s breaking down players or their contracts, Steelers Depot does it right. So today we talked about the Browns, the Steelers and the rest of the AFC North.
Running down the Cleveland Browns and the rest of the AFC North with @SteelersDepot – WFNY Podcast – 2014-07-29
Chad Zumock joins the podcast for the first time. Here’s what we talked about.
- Chad talks about his relationship working with Jim Florentine
- We talk about LeBron James coming home and Chad reporting sports
- Johnny Football vs. Brian Hoyer
- Cleveland Browns training camp and zip lines
- The boringness of the Cleveland Indians
- Is baseball boring in general now?
- The steroid era
- The Jim Thome Statue
And much much more.
[iframe style="border:none" src="http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/2975085/height/150/width/590/thumbnail/yes/theme/standard-mini" height="150" width="590" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Check out this episode!
I like to have @SPORTSYELLING on the podcast and she’s gracious enough to make the time. Today we had another fun conversation about the following.
- Being dragged into watching WWE wrestling with her husband
- Dangerous tweets
- The impact of the LeBron James signing on a hardcore Tribe fan
- The Indians chances of making a run at the playoffs
- Winning streaks and whether or not you can ever see them coming
- Is there blame to go around for the Indians record so far and if so to whom?
- The LeBron James kids book that Craig bought stinks
Anthony Lima and what it was like to break the LeBron news live on the air.
The Plane, Zydrunas and more on the reporting of the story
The risks of being wrong and getting punished
Opie and Anthony and losing your job for what you say on twitter
The pitfalls of a public life on twitter
Les Levine talks about LeBron James, Johnny Manziel and local sports media – WFNY Podcast – 2014-07-22
- Reporting in the modern world
- Chris Broussard and needing to be right a minute ahead of the next guy
- Les’ history of reporting things and “being wrong”
- LeBron James coming home
- Johnny Manziel’s partying lifestyle and social media
- Not living dangerously
- Joe Lull’s report on Dan Gilbert’s plane
Cleveland Kate set the topic for this one and Josh Flagner of More Than a Fan was happy to oblige. We took our seats as men in the independent sports media environment to discuss… women in sports media.
We talked about Erin Andrews, Suzyn Waldman and a host of other females in the game. We talked about the opportunities or lack thereof. We also discussed the fact that we can’t remember a single female sports talker in the history of Cleveland sports radio.
Lastly, I played the Kirk Minihane audio for Josh and we discussed the way he talked about Erin Andrews and her reporting.
Of course there was a lot of talk about the local sports media and local sports talk radio as well, including the 92.3 the Fan’s Fan Phenom competition.
LeBron James, Johnny Manziel, Cleveland and the concept of home – Casual Friday – WFNY Podcast – 2014-07-18
It’s been a while since I chatted with Denny, but he had some time this evening so we did it up on the following.
- LeBron James coming back to Cleveland impacting Denny
- The vague, but unmistakable feelings of “home”
- Cleveland and the generational preference for city living
- athletics impact on cities
- Raising a family in a city
- Johnny Manziel and the negative obsession with his partying
I’ve been a follower of Busted Coverage for a while. Even though they do things far differently than we do at WFNY, that doesn’t mean I don’t read and enjoy a site like Busted Coverage.
Joe Kinsey was kind enough to come on and tell us about the site. He told us about what it was like to start it back in 2007 and what it was like to be acquired in 2011. He told us what it was like to get sued by the Big Ten.
The athlete wedding registry bit is one of my favorites. I talked to Joe about what it’s been like to run that hysterical gimmick over the years. He recounted buying a wedding gift for Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries.
I talked to Brian Windhorst a year ago when the Cavs re-hired Mike Brown and I was taken aback when I started to think about all the things that have changed since then. Brian was gracious enough to join me for about a half hour to talk about LeBron coming back to the Cavaliers. Here are some of the things we discussed.
- The free agent market shakeout after LeBron signed
- The Houston Rockets’ bad off-season (so far)
- LeBron’s relationship to the player’s union and being involved with the CBA
- The culture of the Miami Heat vs. the culture of the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Reporting on a story that directly impacts your home town
- LeBron’s visit to Cleveland for the Zydrunas Ilgauskas number retirement
- What’s next for Brian
We discussed the letter that LeBron wrote with Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated. We also discussed the sourcing frenzy that led up to the LeBron article coming out. Scott talked about what it’s been like for his son to welcome back LeBron James and also a little bit about what he’d like to see in terms of coverage of LeBron James from the region’s biggest paper, the Plain Dealer.
This is so unnecessary. Andrew and I talked about the return of LeBron James. We talked about what it means to us personally and what our reactions were to how it all went down.
From the beginning rumblings all the way to the letter transcribed by Sports Illustrated.
When will he make a choice?
Which source will you trust?
The practical realities of Cavs vs. Heat
Pat Riley vs. Dan Gilbert
[iframe style="border:none" src="http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/2936413/height/150/width/590/thumbnail/yes/theme/standard-mini" height="150" width="590" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Check out this episode!
I’ve followed Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm and CBS for years on Twitter. I’m sure I’ve argued with him a time or two, but I’ve always valued his opinion and writing. I’m really happy he agreed to come on the WFNY podcast in the midst of a very busy NBA off-season.
We talked about Twitter, his process, and his goals as a web publisher. We talked about LeBron James, NBA player culture growing up, and a whole host of other topics.
Very good iinsight into what makes @HPBasketball tick.
Today’s chat with Brian Spaeth was all over the place, but it was good. Brian and I discussed LeBron, Transformers, the Potato Salad Kickstarter and then I got sad that my favorite radio show was broken up.
- Brian’s return to twitter with the LeBron James situation
- LeBron James’ potential return to Cleveland
- The potato salad kickstarter
- People hating the potato salad kickstarter
- Brian talks about Turtlecalls experience
- The new Transformers movie is really bad
- Teflon Mark Wahlberg
- Anthony fired from Opie and Anthony
- Is he a racist?
- Should he have been fired?
- Craig gets sad over his favorite radio show being in jeopardy.
As I said in the podcast, I have a new album coming out this week. My band name is The Company Line and the album is called “Losing My Voice.” It’s available right now for pre-order on Amazon. It’s supposed to be on iTunes and Spotify as well. Please search it out. Please listen to it. Please tell a friend. Please enjoy it.
Now on to the Podcast.
It was a wild weekend on Twitter with all the sports news. TD and I ran it down.
- LeBron James coming back to Cleveland?
- Dan Gilbert’s plane!
- The practical issues surrounding the Miami Heat rebuilding
- LeBron facing Pat Riley and what that might be like
- New song from Craig’s band The Company Line
- Josh Gordon getting pulled over for speeding and DWI
- Johnny Manziel rolling up dollar bills. Is it a story?
- Michael Brantley makes the all-star team
- The Indians should trade Asdrubal Cabrera and Justin Masterson
[iframe style="border:none" src="http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/2931378/height/150/width/590/thumbnail/yes/theme/standard-mini" height="150" width="590" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Check out this episode!
Mac vs. PC
World Cup 2014
USMNT and Klinsmann’s goals for the future
Landon Donovan’s comments about Klinsmann’s strategy
NEOMG posts Cavs beat job on Craigslist
NBA Free Agency Miami Heat
LeBron, Wade, Bosh opt out
Cavs Free Agency
Kyrie Signing the max extension immediately
Tyronn Lue leaving Doc Rivers for David Blatt and the Cavs
The pressure on Pat Riley
What would LeBron returning to Cleveland mean?
Listen to The Antlers
- Tim Howard is a sports hero
- Did Clint Dempsey play out of position?
- Discussion of Keith Olbermann’s seven suggestions for American soccer
- Michael Bradley, Graham Zusi and Wondo’s miss
I decided to take my podcasting gear to the #CavsTwitter draft party and spent about ten minutes or so talking to people as the Cavs were getting ready to select Andrew Wiggins.
I spoke with Jeff Nomina, Summit Omar, Jacob, Kirk and Brendan Bowers. The podcast finishes with the room reaction to the Cavaliers’ pick.
Scott Raab on Johnny Manziel, LeBron James and Cleveland’s savior complex – WFNY Podcast – 2014-06-23
- The World Cup and the USMNT’s tie to Portugal
- Cleveland’s “savior” complex
- Johnny Manziel and his personality
- LeBron James and his potential return
- Mike Pettine and Scott’s forthcoming profile of the Browns coach for Esquire magazine
- The Cavaliers hiring of David Blatt
- Kyrie Irving, the Cavaliers and Joel Embiid
- Cleveland Indians attendance talk in the media
- Sports journalism and the use of anonymous sources
There was even more than all that, but like so many of my conversations with Scott, it all just flowed pretty naturally. Until next time…
Direct download: WFNY_Podcast_-_2014-06-23.mp3
- Jozy Altidore’s injury
- Landon Donovan left off the roster
- The matchup with Portugal
- The ugly win over Ghana
- Who will replace Altidore and what will Deuce be like with his broken nose?
- Johnny Manziel and Mike Pettine’s reactions to him
Lastly, Tom had a book recommendation from one of his former colleagues. It’s The Hard Way on Purpose: Essays and Dispatches from the Rust Belt by David Giffels.
[iframe style="border:none" src="http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/2899373/height/150/width/590/thumbnail/yes/theme/standard-mini" height="150" width="590" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
Check out this episode!